Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Engaging Learners with New Strategies and Tools









I just don't seem to be able to get blogger to transfer my graphic organizer copy like I want. Try clicking on the blog above to view it.


The main content is in the center" Online Learner Environment", surrounded by four major branches;
1. "Course Content Materials" which has Text, Online Resources and Lab Supplies as sub categories.
2. "Social Presence" which has the course registration itself and the student and school academic standing as sub categories.
3. "Cognitive Presence" which has an Informed and Motivated Teacher and an Expertly Designed Curriculum as sub categores.
4. "Collaborative Environement" with Local and Online Resources as sub categories.

Number 4 would have additional sub categores consisting of messaging online as well as telephone, cell phone, or any other communication vias available.

This "graphic" was supposed to serve as a model and focus for the discussion of how we might be able to engage learners with new strategies and tools.



Both Terry Anderson and Vance Durrington and his coauthors (Anderson T, 2008), (Durrington V.A. et al, 2006) insist that we load the curriculum itself with structure and assessment rubrics for collaborative activities. I believe this might be better left more voluntary and less enforced communication as it might restimulate student personal freedom losses and lower the enthusiasm for study. A teacher must be very careful how he or she handles assigning other students to monitor the participation of others. I see more dangers here than I see benefits. Whereas a voluntary collaboration recruitment would, I feel, be much more successful. At all events, structuring collarboration into the curriculm properly is definitely a key strategy. I do like the Problem Based Learning strategy to open up group participation. This is always a winner in science classes. Again, it's that much harder to engineer online.
Palloff and Pratt advise us to transform what works in the classroom to an online format. (Palloff, R.M., and Pratt, K., 2005). This can be done with videos easily and seems to be the most successful adaptation to date. Siemens (Siemens, G., 2008) stresses guiding students through a more complex curriculum.

One thing that would work would be an easier way to post graphics to blogs. Joke. :)
as Durrington et al would have us do!





Anderson, Terry. (2008). The Theory and Practice of Online Learning. (pp. 343 - 365)Edmonton, Alberta: Au Press, Athabasca University.

Durrington, V. A., Berryhill, A., & Swafford, J. (2006). Strategies for enhancing student interactivity in an online environment. College Teaching, 54(1), 190−193.

Palloff, Rena M, Pratt, Keith, (2005). Collaborating Online, Learning Together in Community, San Fransisco. CA, : Jossey-Bass

Learning and Knowing in Networks: Changing roles for Educators and DesignersGeorge SiemensPresented to ITFORUM for DiscussionJanuary 27, 2008.


For Module 4, I responded to the following 2 blogs:


Christine Rand: http://walden-crand.blogspot.com/2010/06/module-2_29.html


Amy Cantymagli: http://acantymagli.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

  1. Response to Goldstein:
    Bill,
    Learner engagement, Load theory and PBL are all important parts of the pedagogy I use in my environment;this week we are to define technologies students are familiar with and web them using the three areas designated by the exemplar. From these areas we are to explain how these technologies can be incorporated into D.E. The uploading process we have found does if fact not work. In module 3 we found only Apple and Mac will upload. From your example I cannot comment on the stated assignment. I would suggest you check the rubric as you are missing several parts of the assignment.
    Good luck
    Bradley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill,

    Hi. Yes, I see you had trouble with your graphic. I used “Inspiration” as my graphic organizer. Then I exported my graphic as a jpeg and uploaded it to my blog using the “Insert Graphic” key.

    Now, I actually disagree with your comment about “voluntary” collaboration. The students that would “volunteer” for that assignment are not necessarily the ones who need to learn the skills of collaboration. I know in most cases, if I had the choice, I would probably work independently simply because I wouldn’t want to deal with people I deemed not as dedicated or as skilled in collaborative work. But that’s exactly what I would need to work on; building those skills to enable me to work with people not at the same level as I think I am and still get a project done. I think there needs to be a balance between the individual contribution and the overall product of the group. More and more people need to be able to work together and some people just aren’t equipped with those skills.

    In the state park that I run in the summer, I see that a lot. This park survives BECAUSE of team work. When we have an employee who is a “loner” and doesn’t work collaboratively, it causes all kinds of problems for the other park employees and management. I think collaborative skills are something one learns and not necessarily something one is born with.

    That’s just my opinion! 

    -Christine

    ReplyDelete